The original agreement before upgrading online marketing package:
- On-going basic search engine optimization
- Monthly reporting
- Checking and regularly building local citations
- Very basic link building campaign
August 2014 – We were given a budget 8x larger than when we started
In August 2014 Rent1 decided to increase their online marketing budget by 800%. They were seeing amazing results with basic optimization being done and came to the conclusion that they would decrease marketing efforts in other platforms like the Yellow Pages and move most of it to their online marketing campaign with New Media Sources. We were pushing to advertise on Google and Bing with a small budget as a test just so that we can show Rent1 missed opportunities where they don’t dominate. Rent1 gave us a fair PPC budget to work with. Our target was the lower mainland in BC.
Here is what we were offering Rent1 with their new custom online marketing package:
- Onsite search engine optimization, which included:
- Speed optimization
- Meta tag optimization
- Duplicate content monitoring
- Internal linking structure
- Changing the architecture into a silo system with user intent in mind
- Copy writing on most important pages
- Creating and managing URL structure
- Optimizing code for search engines
- Offsite search engine optimization
- Basic link building
- Local citations
- Pay Per Click Ad Campaign (Google & Bing)
- Search network on both Google and Bing
- Website improvements
- Continuing edits where needed
- Tracking user behavior
- Recording user sessions to see pain points of live visitors
- Heat mapping important pages to see if visitors are completing given tasks
- Landing pages
- Copywriting, wireframing, designing, and testing different landing pages
- Monitoring sales team
- Using custom numbers and an AI system to determine if sales team is doing their job after we guide visitors down the sales funnel
- Email marketing campaign
- Running different email marketing campaigns
- Personalizing marketing messages based on user behavior
- Showing different messages to visitors who have visited certain websites
- Presenting incentives to call when visitor is leaving in the middle of the sales funnel
- Viewing browsing and conversion history of each visitor
Completing the SEO audit
We score each client based on overall SEO-ability. We look at key elements like content, indexation, accessibility, speed, and overall domain authority. Rent1 had clear areas where it could improve. Here’s a list of tasks that we had laid out for better search engine visibility:
- Increase the number of indexed pages
- Increase the number of short and long tail keywords
- Increase conversion rates and overall revenue from the website
- We had to make sure we tracked everything because the main point of contact for visitors was going to be phone calls and not form submissions
- Increase local mobile search
- Some, if not most contractors need rentals fast so they search on their mobile phones. It was important to increase overall rankings on desktop as well as mobile rankings
- Making sure the website loads a lot faster than before
- Determining user intent based on search phrases
- Measuring and determining phone call conversion
- Tracking and optimizing top landing pages
- Using structured data to guide search engines
- Improving meta tags for better click through rates on search results page
The effect of our SEO and online marketing efforts
We generally compare our metrics based on the same period of the previous year. For examples, we’ll take the results of September 2014 and compare it to September 2013. In most cases data from analytics will not correctly reflect our efforts if we compare data from the previous month of the same year.
Here are the results from September:
The reason why the pages / session, average session duration and bounce rate decreased is because we have different campaigns going directly to a particular page where the visitor gets all the information they need. They no longer have to click around looking for information.
Organic traffic increase:
Organic traffic grew by whopping 117%. The plan was to increase:
- The number of indexed pages
- Get those indexed pages to rank high
- Increase click through rates
- And have visitors convert with great copy
We were able to do all these things and more. Here’s how we improved rankings, CTR and overall conversion through organic search:
- We optimized each page based on user intent, which was:
- Rental rates
- Machine of interest for rent
- Adding structured data where possible
- We built local citations on the most prominent websites
- We had customers write reviews
- We sped up the website
- Re-wrote all title and description tags
Organically we were able to double the visibility for Rent1.
Benchmarking and tracking leads
It’s very difficult to benchmark and track online marketing when most conversions happen over the phone.
We decided that the best way to resolve this issue was to use a custom number on every single campaign.
Our tracking system isn’t just meant to record calls for later review. Our AI system can automatically determine if a call is not going well. With triggers we are able to send emails to important figures in the company if a sales rep, front desk clerk or an office administrator is having trouble with taking calls.
Here’s an active indicator list of what we report to all our clients:
As you can see, it’s very important to this client that all customers be treated very well on the phone. This data was a gold mine. For example, we found out that the agitation level was fairly high for most reps. When we pointed this out to our client, we were told that reps handle multiple calls at the same time so they need to finish the call and go to the next customer. We suggested a call centre where calls would go to a local company who can capture the lead and report back to the client. This way reps can spend more time with the customers. Their agitation levels have dropped significantly since then.
Increasing the number of calls and conversion
Increasing the number of leads was extremely important to us. We decided to run multiple targeted campaigns in Google AdWords with custom designed landing pages. Landing pages ranged from having a promotion on them to simply having specific equipment featured as the primary message.
We also focused on changing key areas of content to include better copy, which performed really well.
Rent1 had an AdWords campaign last year. Because of low conversion and lack of tracking, they decided to stop the campaign.
Google AdWords has always worked really well for most of our clients so we wanted to try setting up a new campaign with best practices and see if we can increase ROI.
Our challenge was that most construction workers, engineers and architects won’t fill out a form if presented with one. We decided to use a custom number for each landing page to track each lead dynamically. All calls were recorded and analyzed through an advanced system with our phone tracking system.
We made sure ALL landing pages had proper copy with the visitor in mind. Our ads all had great scent so that if someone clicked on a message on Google, they wouldn’t be confused on the page they were landing on.
It’s also very important to keep average cpc low with high quality scores. We wanted the best position possible whenever someone was looking for a key phrase we were targeting. Overtime our relevance increased with better copy and landing pages making the most profitable keyword $4.87/click in the course of five months.
With Ad Extensions we were able to make our sales funnel even easier to go through for potential clients. If our ads were compelling enough, they can call directly from search. During the course of five months we were able to get 57 direct calls from search. We had 67 calls in total with both search and our landing page combined.
Adwords can be a black hole with your budget if you don’t know what you’re doing. We needed to make sure we had scent with next to perfect copy, great landing pages, the right keywords targeted and a proper way to track a sale from the top of the funnel to the bottom.
Our ROI for AdWords turned out to be massive. The budget spent in five months was less than $1500 and we were able to get more than $40,000 in rentals.
Sales figures (online channels)
Overall sales from organic rankings reflected the increase in traffic from Google. We were able to double the revenue from the website because of the visibility increase within Google. The total revenue increase from Organic traffic totaled more than $100,000 in less than 6 months.
Our revenue numbers for Google AdWords were also impressive. Our first 6 months was a test run. We’re going to increase the budget in the New Year to reflect demand. Here are some of the ppc numbers, which are interesting:
- Spent $300 in August
- ROI was $3000
- Spent $300 in September
- ROI was $7000
- Spent $268 in October
- ROI was more than $10,000
Rent1 was a great example of how a well-executed online marketing plan can pay off in the short and long term. With increased rankings, more qualified leads from search and a new pay per click campaign we were able to almost double the rentals compared to 2013. By March 2015, Rent1 intends to double its online marketing budget for even more leads across different cities in the lower mainland.
The demand is there and we’ll be there to capitalize on behalf of our client.