SEO has built up a bad rep in the business community. For every 1 good SEO there are at least 10 bad ones giving horrendous advice to businesses. Also, business owners need to get real and study their own business before hiring someone or a company that probably will use the most basic SEO tactic out there.
Here are some red flags to look for when you want to hire someone to get your rankings and leads through search engines:
- We guarantee you first page rankings.
- If you hear this, RUN!!! Just because there are no guarantees when it comes to Google, Bing or Yahoo. Search engines have their own rules and “THEY” and only they decide when to rank a webpage for a particular keyword.
- These people are just after your money. A real SEO that knows what they’re doing will never promise any rankings. Only hard work and perseverance will pay off.
- We will auto submit your site for thousands of backlinks.
- Again, if you hear anything automated, RUN!!! These people know absolutely nothing when it comes to SEO and will hurt your business online (and offline for that matter).
- And let me tell you, its not easy getting all those bad links off.
- We will buy high PR links and Facebook likes.
- Lets get this straight; you want to pay for links when Google specifically says paid links will get you penalized? Are you fu#$en out of your mind?
- And what are those Facebook likes worth when they’re from India or China? Worthless!!!
- If you can get someone that’s a little tech savvy to do this next step because this is probably one humongous red flag (even if you have to pay them a one time fee).
- Research the SEO companies/persons site. Do they have good links coming to their site?
- What’s their PR with Google? They should be at lease a PR4 if you’re paying them more then $1000/month.
- Do they have a lot of shares on their blog?
- Are the active on Twitter or Facebook?
- Are they outsourcing to India, China or Pakistan? Outsourcing SEO is the single worst decision you can ever make when it comes to SEO. The consequences are simply too much. You might end up spending 10’s of thousands of dollars fixing what they’ve done.
- Where do they get their information?
- Do they provide references?
You Get What You Pay For
That’s right everyone! The old saying still holds true. If someone is willing to guarantee you first page rankings on $300/month for a bunch of keywords, you’re in for a treat. It won’t happen.
SEO is really hard work. We have to get our hands dirty with: p>
- Research (which can take weeks sometimes)
- Coming up with a content strategy
- Reputation management through social media
- Constant tracking (tracking, tracking and did I mention tracking)
- Reform and improve efforts
- And finally, we have to stay on top of our game by constantly re-educating ourselves on our evolving industry
It’s really a never-ending process to be honest. We have to be on top of our game with new trends and rules by different search engines (Google, I am looking at you specifically).
SEO Services & The Right Questions
When it comes to what kinds of SEO services a company or a person offers, a business owner must ask some key questions. Lucky for you, I’ve gathered some good questions for you to ask. There should be no ooms or ums when they answer by the way.
- How long have you been using the same strategy for SEO?
- What are you strong points when it comes to the SEO services your provide?
- Have you had work in my industry?
- How do you measure success?
- Have you failed a project before?
- Can I have some references?
- What do you use to stay up to date with your industry?
- I can’t afford you; do you have something where I can save a little more money?
- What will you do if I am not satisfied with your services?
I needed to go on a rant tonight because a person asked me if I could match some guy offering to do work for $200 a month. Please treat your business well. If you sell pizza would you mix your cheese with crappy fake soya cheese? If not, you actually care. For gods sake, take search engines and your website seriously and invest in SEO services that really help your business in the short and long run.
[schema type=”person” name=”Puya Turkiyan” jobtitle=”SEO & Online Marketing Specialist” url=”http://newmediasources.ca/” description=”Puya Turkiyan is an established online marketing specialist providing SEO services in beautiful Vancouver, BC with a great track record and an eye for conversion with lead generation.” city=”Vancouver” state=”BC” ] Puya has provided SEO Services all over North America.